Articles on this Page
- 01/18/12--14:04: _You know you're a W...
- 01/18/12--15:02: _Celebrity Interview...
- 01/18/12--15:02: _steph-ny: Click he...
- 01/18/12--17:03: _Love & Hate: Exciti...
- 01/18/12--18:02: _jemma1011: My pict...
- 01/19/12--07:00: _raratutu: http://w...
- 01/19/12--07:00: _Book Review: The Pr...
- 01/19/12--09:00: _One of Wattpad staf...
- 01/19/12--11:00: _fidsnlgn: http://w...
- 01/19/12--12:00: _Tips on how to writ...
- 01/19/12--14:04: _Cover-Off: "Extreme...
- 01/19/12--15:02: _fidsnlgn: http://w...
- 01/19/12--16:02: _Kidnapped! Adventur...
- 01/19/12--18:01: _monstercallmegaga: ...
- 01/19/12--18:01: _darkdawns: thefunn...
- 01/20/12--05:00: _Wattpad Community C...
- 01/20/12--07:00: _allisonleigh94: Ht...
- 01/20/12--09:00: _Friday Find: "The M...
- 01/20/12--11:00: _bakaprincess: http...
- 01/20/12--12:00: _Body Image & Person...
- 01/18/12--15:02: Celebrity Interview: NPR Radio Host Ira Glass
- 01/18/12--15:02: steph-ny: Click here and be sent to heaven ;)
- 01/18/12--17:03: Love & Hate: Exciting Stories To Read On Wattpad
- 01/18/12--18:02: jemma1011: My picture for the ‘You Know You’re A Wattpadder...
- 01/19/12--07:00: raratutu: http://www.wattpad.com/user/RaraTutu
- 01/19/12--07:00: Book Review: The Princess Bride
- 01/19/12--09:00: One of Wattpad staff’s favorite entries. Don’t...
- 01/19/12--11:00: fidsnlgn: http://www.wattpad.com/user/Death_by_Vampire #wattpad ...
- 01/19/12--12:00: Tips on how to write from a point-of-view effectively
- 01/19/12--14:04: Cover-Off: "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"
- 01/19/12--15:02: fidsnlgn: http://www.wattpad.com/user/Death_by_Vampire #wattpad ...
- 01/19/12--16:02: Kidnapped! Adventures and Thrillers on Wattpad
- 01/19/12--18:01: monstercallmegaga: You know when your a wattpadder when you can...
- 01/19/12--18:01: darkdawns: thefunniestpost: more laughs here! CLICK ME!! D:...
- 01/20/12--05:00: Wattpad Community Contests
- 01/20/12--07:00: allisonleigh94: Http://wattpad.com/Alli_gator5
- 01/20/12--09:00: Friday Find: "The Marked"
- 01/20/12--11:00: bakaprincess: http://www.wattpad.com/user/SerenaSnape
- 01/20/12--12:00: Body Image & Personal Struggles: Watty Awards Finalists
A top entry in our “You Know You’re A Wattpadder When” contest. Thank you to everyone who participated. We loved all the amazing entries!
Wattpad brings you a guest post originally published in Teen Ink magazine:
NPR Radio Host Ira Glass
By Rosemary H., Scituate, MA and Blair H., W. Newton, MA
”This American Life” host and producer Ira Glass started working in public radio when he was 19 and has since worked on nearly every NPR news show, and done almost every production job out there.
“This American Life” went on the air in 1995. Each week the staff chooses a theme and invites writers and performers to contribute items on the theme. The mission is to document everyday life in this country.
Glass says to think of it as a documentary show for people who normally hate documentaries, a public radio show for those who don’t necessarily care for public radio.
(text adapted from ThisAmericanLife. org)
So of all the things you could do in life, why is radio the most worthwhile? If you couldn’t be in radio, what else would you do?
Um, I’m not sure radio would be the most worthwhile, but I stumbled into it when I was 19. I talked my way into an internship at NPR headquarters in Washington even though, like most teenagers, I had never heard of public radio. I didn’t come from the kind of family who would listen to it, but the people were really young and funny and smart, and they had these really cool studios and I thought, well, this would be a really fun thing to do. I was an unpaid intern, and the following summer got a job there. It wasn’t a plan, and I’m not really sure how deeply worthwhile it is, but I just got lucky.
When you were in Chicago, you talked to a lot of kids. Do you think popular or unpopular kids have more pressure on them?
Wow, I mean, I think all kids have a lot of pressure on them. It’s hard to feel bad for the popular kids. My heart goes out way more to unpopular kids; I wasn’t especially popular in high school so I felt like I understood them immediately, and also their stories tend to be more dramatic. It’s harder to do a story on somebody who is on top. It’s more
interesting to find somebody who is sort of in the middle or at the bottom, and most of us can relate to them more.
Yeah, there are more advantages to being an outcast.
You think there are advantages to being an outcast?
Shealeen, a small town girl, has to leave the town she loves, her friends, and Samuel. Moving in to a new town, Shealeen crosses paths with Phoenix and they both eventually develop “hate” for each other. Can enemies be friends like strangers can be lovers?
He grabbed my shoulders and pushed me back against the brick wall. Pain shot through me but none of that mattered anymore. “Don’t you ever do that again,” he growled, having a hard time keeping his canines in place. “I’m not your little puppet. I don’t listen to what you tell me,” I smirked. “Yes, you do,” he scowled..
When Jen learns that ever since birth she has been engaged to the charming Eric Wilson and must marry him before she turns eighteen, she promises him a life of hatred and hell. And so far she’s been doing just that. But what happens when her past catches up to her and causes the walls around her to come crumbling down. What happens when she discovers that Eric is hiding a dark secret that can kill her? But more than that, what does she do when she realizes that she is falling in love with him? Sometimes we don’t know what we want, until the moment we’re about to lose it.
When Beth is forced to go live with a werewolf pack she finds herself as the Alpha’s mate. Will she fall for him and accept his help or will the monster get them all?
My picture for the ‘You Know You’re A Wattpadder When…’ contest.
Link to my profile : http://www.wattpad.com/user/Jemma1011
Wattpad brings you a guest post from Teen Ink magazine:
The Princess Bride
By Adam H., Tonawanda, NY
Before I begin this review, I must admit I am a little biased. This book is one of my favorite stories because, although it is a fairy tale complete with a hero, giants and a handsome Prince, it has many elements of contemporary novels and motion pictures.
The author, William Goldman, claims that this story was first read to him as a child, by his father. When he grew up, he found that his father had taken the original novel, (by S. Morganstern), and given him a “good parts” version. Since he loved the book so much, he republished his own version of Princess Bride.
One of Wattpad staff’s favorite entries.
Don’t forget to check back here on Wattpad Insider this Friday, January 20th, to find out the “You Know You’re A Wattpadder When” contest winner, randomly selected from the top 10 most popular entries.
Guest post from writer Cathleen Ross on Wattpad:
I’ve been enjoying reading stories on Wattpad since I joined. I like the way it has a large variety of writers from beginners to published authors. As a writing teacher of many years experience I’m tempted to give feedback beyond the, “that’s great” however I tend to hold back in case I offend a budding writer. Instead, I’m going to offer an article on the subject of viewpoint as this is one of the things that I notice newer writers tend to have trouble with.
Cathleen Ross is a published romance writer. Check out some of her stories on Wattpad:
Which version of Jonathan Safran Foer’s “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close” do you like better - left or right?
Support your favorite stories and writers in the Watty Awards! There are only 12 days left to vote!
You know when your a wattpadder when you can say ‘what’s not to like’!
Check out Girl Meets Boy and other community contests hosted by authors, publishers and content partners on Wattpad! Enter to win cool prizes!
“This may be one you’ll want to keep your eyes on. The characterization is rich with detail. Creating an antagonist with whom I can empathize, one that makes me shudder, one that makes me a bit sick - that is an accomplishment! Add to that, I can’t predict which way this story is going to go and I’m hooked.”
Every Friday, we bring you an undiscovered gem to read on Wattpad. This week, our secret Wattpad Talent Hunters recommend The Marked: Blood of the Seven, a fantasy fiction:
The world has changed, where once magic ruled now men with clever inventions and gunpowder threaten to destroy all magic and those that wield it. But the magic is not dead those who carry the blood of the seven still walk land and there may be one among them who might yet be capable restoring balance.
Born under the shroud of a broken and dark prophecy, Liam has lived his short life in peace. When his peaceful life is shattered, he is forced to flee his home and seek answers to his own dark origins before they consume him and everyone he cares for.
Mobile Wattcode 2789297
We’ve got more reading suggestions for you today! Check out these Watty Awards finalists for inspiring stories dealing with body image, exciting tales of personal struggles or survival, and more!
Watty Awards 2011 ends on Jan. 31st! Vote for your favorites now!